3.30.2009

say.

i'm having a difficult time right now deciding which of my thoughts i should say out loud and which thoughts i should leave in my head. things have been pretty crazy lately vis a vis my emotions... they have kind of been all over the place. hence, my hesitation to say what i feel when i feel it. alot of the time i don't feel the same way a few days later (sometimes even a few hours later) . i've always been a pretty emotional girl, and i quite like that about myself. i like that when i am happy, i am consumed by that happiness, that it crosses borders into other parts of my life. i also like that i have the ability to be sad, that i have the ability to identify my sadness and express it and learn from it. it seems like lately i have been filtering my thoughts a bit more and not saying as much as i usually do, which may be a good thing, i don't know. i just know that on occasion, i feel like i am going to either explode or drown. which sounds worse than it is. probably. there really is no point to this rant other than to say that i don't know what to do. for the first time in a long time i feel a bit lost. today i was going through some music and i came across a song by john mayer and i kind of hate quoting him because he tends to be a douche more often than not. but his music is actually really, really brilliant. there's a song of his called "say" that i read the lyrics to and one line in particular caught my attention. it's weird bc i don't always get inspiration from songs, but it's always really eye-opening when i do bc it's usually from songs that i've listened to a thousand times. anyways, if you get a chance you should read all of the lyrics to that song bc, even though it was written by a douche, the whole song is amazing. i'm just going to print the lyrics that stood out the most to me...

"IT'S BETTER TO SAY TOO MUCH THAN [TO] NEVER SAY WHAT YOU NEED TO SAY."

so, after a night of "dreaming" about scenarios, a few hours of deliberating and thinking, and finally after consulting my "go-to" peeps (thank you malia and trevor) i decided that it's best that i say what i need to. it's better for me anyways. i could sit here and be bothered for the next few hours/days/weeks/whatever, or i could just say what i feel and be done with it. i think relationships would be so much easier if we could all just do eachother that little courtesy. when i think of how much time i've wasted worrying and over-analyzing it makes me nuts. it's all very high school, the worrying and deciphering "guy code" and such, and it seems like such a waste of time. especially since, as much as i would like to be (ha ha), i am NOT in high school anymore. and, like (apparently) everyone else, i am busy (yes, that can be an excuse for me too, though i don't use it as one).
there are so few times that i regret saying something. in fact, off hand, i can't remember any situations where i regret speaking my mind. that's not to say that i don't remember a time where i told someone how i feel and they didn't feel the same way, bc i remember quite a few times like that. i even remember feeling embarassed about what i said. but there are so many instances that i can think of-right off the top of my head- where i held my tongue and didn't tell someone how i felt, and those are the things i regret, those are the moments that could have changed everything. i just think that it's better to say what i feel and get it out there and know for certain that someone knows what i'm feeling, no guesses on their part or mine. i gotta tell you, if someone's decision to jump ship is based on my thoughts or feelings, then it's best that they jump ship sooner rather than later.

1 comment:

Malia said...

amen - it is much better to know early on whether someone is a dud or not. I don't get the phenom with girls who try to delude themselves into thinking a guy is something he is not - then waking up a few months later realizing they are stuck with a loser (when they pretended he wasn't)

Not that I am a guru at all, but that really made the difference in my relationship with David. It continues to be a defining characteristic in our marriage. We always talk about everything. David has developed into the type of man who can discuss how he feels and I've learn to hold my tongue a little more. It's a really beautiful thing. It's something we are both very proud of. It only happened when we made the attempt to be honest, to say what we needed to say and then move on.