3.18.2009

love actually.

the other day i was thinking about this thing that happened to me in seventh grade and it's a pretty great thing, so i thought i'd share.
for my brithday in seventh grade (i was turning 13, just wanted to bring you all to a mental place with me) my friend gave me a case of flavored water. i know, it sounds random, actually it was really nice b/c flavored water had just become all the rage so... i was the coolest thirteen-year-old of all time. anyways i was given this case of like, 24 water bottles that i then had to cart around all day (not that i'm complaining...) needless to say it got old after like, three classes. there was this kid in science who i sat by (we'll call him "Kid A", for privacy reasons) and we used to talk in class all the time, we were like, science class friends or whathaveyou. the point is, we weren't like besties or anything, but he offered to carry around my water case for me from class to class.... which he then did b/c apparently i let him. let's just say for my sake that i argued with him about it a bit before i let him do it, i don't want to seem like some seventh grade kino jr. high diva or anything. the point is, Kid A walked along side me for the second half of my day and carried my case of flavored water for me so that i didn't have to. what kind of a kid does that? in seventh grade, no less. me being my seventh grade, self loathing self really thought nothing of it, but thinking about it the other day made me think that he probably was crushing on me a little bit, you know, in a seventh grade way. the point of this rant is, i thought everyone hated me in junior high. granted, i had some pretty significant things happen with people that would make me think that, but still. i kind of spent my time with these people who were always more popular than i was, always richer, always skinnier (although never funnier or better dressed, i'm just sayin'...) and i think i kind of fell by the wayside a bit. i kind of flew under the radar. i was always "so-and-so's friend". guys didn't like me b/c why would they when they could like my friends? (don't get me wrong, i am quite happy that i don't have the track record that most girls have from high school). remembering this story though, it made me think of other things and it kind of made me realize that love actually was all around me when i was growing up, it just wasn't in the form that i was looking for, or the form that i knew how to identify. it wasn't the kind of love my friends were receiving so i just didn't notice it. it all makes me wonder what kind of love is being thrown my way now that i am missing...

how cute is Kid A, btw? that was pretty stellar of him, regardless of why he did it.

2 comments:

Malia said...

oh my gosh gabby

i love this post, love love love it.

love IS actually around you

Nic said...

i, like you, never felt the love that i was looking for in highschool. i doubt many people do though. why do we all have to feel so insecure at such a crucial stage in life? It was there, we just were ready or open to receive it. Thank heaven for growing up!!
And yes, this boy was super sweet!

love that your relate eels to ursula. All i can do is quote movie lines whenever i'm around eels....