3.09.2008

callou, callay! no work today!

"...come and walk with us,
the day is warm and bright.
a pleasant walk, a pleasant talk,
would be a sheer delight!"
- "the walrus and the carpenter", Lewis Carroll.
this weekend was one of my first weekends "off" in a long time, probably since the new year. usually my half days and weekends are spent running errands or doing hair, and i purposely left this weekend empty, scheduling only one haircut so i could have the day to myself. the question is, what does one do with herself with an afternoon off? keep in mind that i have no children, and really, no social life (by choice, mind you). i don't know that there really is an answer to this question, but i do know what my answer was on saturday. i coloured my hair, went to lunch with my parents, and took photos of myself. call it vanity if you will, but in my opinion, it can all be chalked up to boredom and having access to my very own camera. i'm sure none of you can see where i'm coming from on this, because you all have children, therefore you always have a subject to shoot from behind the lense of your camera. but, alas, i do not, as i still reside on spinster lane. so until i do, i shall remain the subject of all of my photoshoots. and for now, that's alright with me.















i just got through watching one of the most depressing movies ever, "Becoming Jane" tonight with my mom, under the reccomendation of my friend cassie jones. she names it her favorite movie of all time and she watches it daily while she works out. while it was very good, i also found it a bit depressing. nevertheless, i'd still watch it again and will probably purchase it since it contains james mcavoy and he has completely, 100% stolen my heart. it was well acted and contains one of my favorite lines of all time "i shall live by my pen". it was really interesting to get to know, in a sense, jane austen or at least a bit of her life, sad as it may have seemed. but, you know, she is kind of this example of "cool" to me in a way. she loved to write, and she did it, even though literally everyone around her told her not to, and even some despised her for it. she was considered by most a "slacker" or a "dreamer" since writing wasn't a profession for many back then. despite all of that she went on to become not only financially successful in her time, but is also widely acknowledged as one of the best writers of all time. her books have been read by millions time and time again, not to mention made into movies, and spawned movies based on her ideas. she didn't compromise her beliefs, not once, though she felt pressure from her parents and society to marry. "Affections is desirable, money is absolutely indespensable!" yells her mother at one point, and yet she still refused to marry for money alone. the ironic thing is, she ended up becoming quite rich and she did it completely on her own, with her silly little dream. that's pretty inspiring. after she refuses numerous proposals from the same man, some "rich booby", she is asked by one friend, "how will you survive?" to which she replies: "i shall live by my pen." and that's exactly what she did.

5 comments:

Malia said...

it is depressing...I agree. However, I am in love with everything Jane Austen. I really could watch her movies for hours.

Are you ready for tomorrow?!

Melissa said...

I haven't seen the movie and maybe I won't. But I do have to say that your eyes are an incredible color of green.

Karen said...

Gabby, you are so freaking hilarious its killing me not to hang out with you. Remember when you pulled the chair out from underneathe your mom at work and she didn't even get mad but was laughing histarically? I need you to come visit me. Oh hey I will be there in AZ on the 3rd of April for 2 weeks, lets get together for lunch...I can meet you guys where ever.

Nic said...

I'm not the hugest Jane Austen fan, & wouldn't voluntarily choose to watch the movie & now I know to steer clear fo' shure. Be glad that you can be the main object of your photo shoots, I'm very rarely in a photo anymore because I'm always on the other end....Enjoy.

Nic said...

HOLD UP...You don't have green eyes! What the?